Thursday, September 8, 2011

Psalm 47 (KJV): Sing praises to God, sing praises

From Psalms

Psalm 47
(For the director of music. Of the Sons of Korah. A psalm.)

1O clap your hands, all ye people;
      shout unto God with the voice of triumph.
2For the LORD most high is terrible;
      he is a great King over all the earth.
3He shall subdue the people under us,
      and the nations under our feet.
4He shall choose our inheritance for us,
      the excellency of Jacob whom he loved.                       Selah

5God is gone up with a shout,
      the LORD with the sound of a trumpet.
6Sing praises to God, sing praises:
      sing praises unto our King, sing praises.

7For God is the King of all the earth:
      sing ye praises with understanding.
8God reigneth over the heathen:
      God sitteth upon the throne of his holiness.
9The princes of the people are gathered together,
      even the people of the God of Abraham:
for the shields of the earth belong unto God:
      he is greatly exalted.

I get the sense that we should be singing praises to God from this psalm.  Which is something I love to do...as I approach my 1st Birthday/Anniversary of my sobriety, which is incredibly hard to believe considering how low I had sunk and how deep I felt I had gotten.

That's not to say I don't have bad days anymore now that I have some sobriety - because I still have bad days.  There is stress, there is fear, there is procrastination.  However, now I have tools and weapons to battle those things.  I have prayer, I have psalms, I have twelve steps, I have fellowship, and in all of that I have hope.

Every now and then I stumble on things that remind me of my days in my addictions.  Like today I happened to pick-up an old New Yorker magazine which had a story about an alcoholic that lied and cheated and drank.  I remembered doing all those things and it reminded me what a journey it's been and how much I have to be thankful for.  The nurse also happened to have the quote "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is history, today is a gift that's why it's called the present," over her cube.  As cliche as that quote is, combined with the story, to give quite a perspective.  To appreciate every sober day I have been given.  To spend with friends, to spend with family, and to spread the love of God.

Sing praises to God, indeed.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment