Saturday, July 9, 2011

Psalm 32 (KJV): Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven

From Psalms

Psalm 32

1Blessed is he
      whose transgression is forgiven,
      whose sin is covered.
2Blessed is the man
      unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity,
      and in whose spirit there is no guile.

3When I kept silence,
      my bones waxed old
      through my roaring all the day long.
4For day and night
      thy hand was heavy upon me:
my moisture is turned
      into the drought of summer.                     Selah.
5I acknowledge my sin unto thee,
      and mine iniquity have I not hid.
I said, I will confess
      my transgressions unto the LORD;
and thou forgavest
      the iniquity of my sin.                              Selah.

6For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee
      in a time when thou mayest be found:
surely in the floods of great waters
      they shall not come nigh unto him.
7Thou art my hiding place;
      thou shalt preserve me from trouble;
      thou shalt compass me about with songs of
            deliverance.                                      Selah.

8I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go:
      I will guide thee with mine eye.
9Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule,
      which have no understanding:
whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle,
      lest they come near unto thee.
10Many sorrows shall be to the wicked:
      but he that trusteth in the LORD,
      mercy shall compass him about.

11Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous:
      and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.

God is good - and He will forgive us of our sins.  However, in order to be forgiven we must be honest.  We must confess our sins.  As long as we try to cover up or deny our sins, or remain silent about them, God's hand will be heavy in our lives - as the psalmist points out here.  However, as soon we confessed our sins to the Lord he forgave us of those sins...Selah.

This is marvelous thing, and it reminds me of the work I did in Step 5 when I presented the true nature of my wrongs to God.  This put a new perspective on my wrongs and showed me how selfish I was and how small my thinking had become.  When we confess our sins and ask forgiveness of our sins from God, if its done honestly, it should be one of the first steps towards giving up our own lives and living for God.  The whole concept of self-death is very important in living lives that are God centered and no longer centered around our selfish "needs" or desires.  This is certainly the discovery and experience I felt during step 5 and gave me a whole new perspective on life.

So, the psalmist writes, everyone who is godly shall do this in times when we sin.  I would even go so far as to say anyone who is looking for recovery shall do this in their time.  For even in floods of great waters they will not come near to him.  God will protect, shelter, redeem, and deliver us.  We will be guided in the path we were meant to go - because he has a plan for each and every one of us.  So, be glad, be strong, rejoice, and shout for joy...all you who are upright in heart...all you who are searching for recovery.  For God is near.

Thanks for letting me share.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Rex Addict,

    I came across your blog and want to be the first to say I will sign up to follow your progress through the Psalms and pray for you as you go.

    May God give you strength even in your weakest moments.

    Manifest Blog

    ReplyDelete