Sunday, November 6, 2011

Psalm 61 (KJV): My heart is overwhelmed lead me to the rock

From Psalms

Psalm 61
(For the director of music upon Neginah (with stringed instruments). Of David)

1Hear my cry, O God;
      attend unto my prayer.

2From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee,
      when my heart is overwhelmed:
      lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
3For thou hast been a shelter for me,
      and a strong tower from the enemy.

4I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever:
      I will trust in the covert of thy wings.          Selah.
5For thou, O God, hast heard my vows:
      thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name.

6Thou wilt prolong the king's life:
      and his years as many generations.
7He shall abide before God for ever:
      O prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him.

8So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever,
      that I may daily perform my vows.

Although I have been sober for more than a year, and I am genuinely a changed person through the 12 steps and God, I still find myself resting on my old crutches from time to time.  One thing I noticed this week, in an unusually high stress situation, I found myself lying.  This is something I almost rarely do anymore, or rarely need to do anymore, since I am able to be very open and honest in all I do with my recovery.  As I lied I started digging myself into a hole.  Eventually, I realized that I didn't need to be telling people and should be telling the truth.  So, I admitted my lie and clarified the situation.

Psalm 61, seems to be fitting to this theme.  Psalm 61 was probably written around the time David had won victory in battle at the expense of the death of his favorite son, Absalom.  During this time of mixed emotions, David probably believed his own misbehavior had contributed to the wickedness and death of Absalom.

My heart is overwhelmed and I need to be lead to the rock that is higher than me.  For you,  God, have heard my vows.  Prepare mercy and truth, which shall preserve me.  I will sing praise and give daily vows forever.  In troublesome times, abide in the spirit of the Lord, who is a refuge.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment