Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Psalm 87 (KJV): His foundation is in the holy mountains

From Psalms

Psalm 87
(Of the sons of Korah.  A psalm.  A song.)

1His foundation is in the holy mountains.
2The LORD loveth the gates of Zion
      more than all the dwellings of Jacob.
3Glorious things are spoken of thee,
      O city of God.                         Selah.
4I will make mention of Rahab and Babylon
      to them that know me:
behold Philistia, and Tyre, with Ethiopia;
      this man was born there.

5And of Zion it shall be said,
      This and that man was born in her:
      and the highest himself shall establish her.
6The LORD shall count, when he writeth up the people,
      that this man was born there.            Selah.
7As well the singers as the players on instruments shall be there:
      all my springs are in thee.

Last night I had a dream where I had a drink.  I don't have them as often as I used to when I was first sober - but I do have them once in a while.  In this case it was a beer.  It wasn't anything special - and I don't remember how much of the beer I drank in the dream.  I do remember when I ordered it I didn't entirely understand what I was getting because I was pleasantly surprised when it came and it was a half pint of a very light beer.  In my dream I could justify that it didn't impact my sobriety because it was small and light.  Kind of like the physician who initially believes that being sober means drinking without getting drunk.  In any case it these dreams show that my addictions loom in my life like a small cloud following me - thankfully though it was just a dream and my sobriety is still together.

Nevertheless, let's move on with short psalm which discusses, some say, the founding of the holy temple and Jerusalem.  The foundations of which are established on the strength of Mount Zion.  As this temple is built on a the strong foundation, a rock, so must everything be.  And so it is our sobriety and recovery needs a strong foundation.  That foundation needs to be our higher power, God.  That is why we start the 12 steps with building that relationship with God, building our faith in God, for that is the foundation of the rest of our recovery.  The personal inventory we take in step 4 and that we share in step 5 are built on this foundation.  The amends we make in step 9 are built on that foundation.

Like it is written in Luke 6:48: "He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock."  The 12 steps will create a foundation so that your sobriety and recovery cannot be shaken.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment