Saturday, June 25, 2011

Psalm 23 (KJV): He restoreth my soul

From Psalms

Psalm 23
1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3He restoreth my soul:
      he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness
      for his name's sake.
4Yea, though I walk through
      the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil:
      for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff
      they comfort me.

5Thou preparest a table before me
      in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil;
      my cup runneth over.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
      all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

The Grand-daddy of all Psalms. Psalm 23, probably the best known Psalm of them all. Books have been written on recovery and Psalm 23. For the longest time I didn't understand what was so great about it.  I now believe its greatness is in its simplicity.  Although I think it's important it's hard for me to call the most important psalm.

Nevertheless, I now see how God leads me in paths of righteousness - not into temptation.  How, in hindsight, when I have fear I am not close to God. In the dark valleys of my addiction I shall not fear as long as I am with God.  I do see how all the gifts and blessings I have are from God - and my cup runneth over.  I thank God that he has restored my soul.  Surely his goodness and his mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.

That is not to say every day will be easy and without failure or frustration.  However, I have faith that even in failure and disappointment that I will learn something from those experiences.  Learn to forgive; gain strength and self control; be able to be more patient; not question my faith; be guided to be gentle; love selflessly; be able to find peace in all situations; acquire true goodness of heart.

I wish I had something more meaningful to say about Psalm 23 - but it kind of speaks for itself.  I'd rather you have that than procrastinate on it any longer.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment