Sunday, April 1, 2012

Psalm 107:25-43 (KJV): He maketh the storm a calm

From Psalms

25For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind,
      which lifteth up the waves thereof.
26They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths:
      their soul is melted because of trouble.
27They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man,
      and are at their wit's end.
28Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble,
      and he bringeth them out of their distresses.
29He maketh the storm a calm,
      so that the waves thereof are still.
30Then are they glad because they be quiet;
      so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.
31Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness,
      and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
32Let them exalt him also in the congregation of the people,
      and praise him in the assembly of the elders.

33He turneth rivers into a wilderness,
      and the watersprings into dry ground;
34A fruitful land into barrenness,
      for the wickedness of them that dwell therein.
35He turneth the wilderness into a standing water,
      and dry ground into watersprings.
36And there he maketh the hungry to dwell,
      that they may prepare a city for habitation;
37And sow the fields, and plant vineyards,
      which may yield fruits of increase.
38He blesseth them also, so that they are multiplied greatly;
      and suffereth not their cattle to decrease.

39Again, they are minished and brought low through
      oppression, affliction, and sorrow.
40He poureth contempt upon princes,
      and causeth them to wander in the wilderness, where there is no way.
41Yet setteth he the poor on high from affliction,
      and maketh him families like a flock.
42The righteous shall see it, and rejoice:
      and all iniquity shall stop her mouth.

43Whoso is wise, and will observe these things,
       even they shall understand the lovingkindness of the LORD.

I find it kind of amazing how God gives us what we need exactly when we need it.  Now that's not to say he gives a winning lottery ticket combination, or the career of our dreams, or the perfect partner.  What he gives, at least what I've seen in the last few days is more like a message...or a teaching if you will.

Tonight I was watching Bridesmaids - the story itself isn't that important, but in it one of the characters keeps running into people she's met in AA.  Then I started to think about it.  Could this really happen?  Could there really be that many people in AA?  How is it that there are, like, 10 meetings a day all just within 10 minutes of my house?  Because there are many people with the same problems as me - of course.  I've met them at the meetings go to.  It's not like there's only 2 or 3 people at these meetings.  No there are dozens of us.  I got so caught up in the way I retreated into my addiction that I failed to ever believe that alcoholism could ever be something that happens to other people.  However, God is showing me that I'm not alone and I don't have to be alone.  I still need to be reminded of that.  God reminded me of that today.

He also shows us that even change that appears to be bad on the surface can instead be a the opportunity of a lifetime.  My mother always said that the Lord works in mysterious ways.  But never doubt that this mystery is part of a plan, His plan.  Today I needed to be reminded of the power of faith and hope - and he reminded me.  When I observe such things I will rejoice and understand the loving kindness of the Lord.  For I do believe that He has the power to maketh the storm calm.  I have seen it before - and I expect I will see it, again.  Can I have an Amen?

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment