Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Psalm 112 (KJV): There ariseth light in the darkness

From Psalms

Psalm 112

1Praise ye the LORD.
Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD,
      that delighteth greatly in his commandments.

2His seed shall be mighty upon earth:
      the generation of the upright shall be blessed.
3Wealth and riches shall be in his house:
      and his righteousness endureth for ever.
4Unto the upright there ariseth light in the darkness:
      he is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous.
5A good man sheweth favour, and lendeth:
      he will guide his affairs with discretion.

6Surely he shall not be moved for ever:
      the righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance.
7He shall not be afraid of evil tidings:
      his heart is fixed, trusting in the LORD.
8His heart is established, he shall not be afraid,
      until he see his desire upon his enemies.
9He hath dispersed, he hath given to the poor;
      his righteousness endureth for ever;
      his horn shall be exalted with honour.

10The wicked shall see it, and be grieved;
      he shall gnash with his teeth, and melt away:
      the desire of the wicked shall perish.

To the upright person there comes light in the darkness (verse 4).  He, the upright person, is gracious and full of compassion (verse 4).  He is also generous and lends freely (verse 5).  To me like the upright man not only has a light in the darkness, but is also a light in the darkness.  He is not afraid - obviously because he trusts in God.

To me this description of this man who believes in God reminds me of something I've learned in my recovery.  You cannot receive things that you are not willing to give.  Or put another way...order to get a hug you need to give a hug.  And as we read in many places in the bible, we cannot be forgiven unless we are willing to forgive of others.

So, if we want to have the light of Jesus in our life we must reflect the light of Jesus into the lives of those around us.  So, today, Lord, help me be faithful when my heart has fear.  Give me a nudge when I have an opportunity to give.  Fix my heart, not unto the evil of my addiction, but to rock of your word.  Let me be an example for those who do not your nature or your riches.  Guide me to be a person who delights in your gifts of love and faith.  Amen.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment