Thursday, February 7, 2013

Psalms 125: As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds his people

From Psalms
Psalm 125
(A Song of Ascents)

1They that trust in the LORD shall be as mount Zion,
      which cannot be removed, but abideth for ever.
2As the mountains are round about Jerusalem,
      so the LORD is round about his people
      from henceforth even for ever.
3For the rod of the wicked shall not rest upon
      the lot of the righteous;
lest the righteous put forth
      their hands unto iniquity.

4 Do good, O LORD, unto those that be good,
      and to them that are upright in their hearts.
5As for such as turn aside unto their crooked ways,
      the LORD shall lead them forth with the workers of iniquity:

but peace shall be upon Israel.

Indeed, the Lord surrounds his people the way the mountains surround Jerusalem.  In the same way the mountains provide some protection God provides protection.  In the same way the mountains provide beauty God provides beauty in our lives.  In the same way the mountains provide a sanctuary so does God provide sanctuary.  Indeed from psalm 72:3, "The mountains shall bring peace to the people," so too shall God surround us with the same peace.

I am fortunate that I live in a place where, on clear days, I can generally see mountain peaks from my neighborhood without much effort.  So this analogy, or parable even, works well for me.  Nevertheless, In the worries, hustle, excitement, sickness, victories and the general things life brings us every day, sometimes it's easy to forget about the mountains.  Or maybe it's a symptom of taking them for granted because they're not going anywhere.  Nevertheless, despite the proximity of the mountains, I need to take sometime to bring their beauty and peace into my life.  In a similar way with God, God is always around us but I need to actively bring him into my life.  For example, to keep my recovery stable I need to consciously make decisions to pray.  As you can see by the amount of time between my entries...I have been distracted from beauty and peace the God provides.  Thankfully though I am well aware as I go about my day I am well aware of the love, beauty, and peace that He surrounds us with.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment