Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Psalm 138: In the day when I cried thou answeredst me



Psalm 138
(Of David.)

1I will praise thee with my whole heart:
      before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.
2I will worship toward thy holy temple,
      and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth:
      for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.
3In the day when I cried thou answeredst me,
      and strengthenedst me with strength in my soul.

4All the kings of the earth shall praise thee,
      O LORD, when they hear the words of thy mouth.
5Yea, they shall sing in the ways of the LORD:
      for great is the glory of the LORD.

6Though the LORD be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly:
      but the proud he knoweth afar off.
7Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
      thou wilt revive me:
thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies,
      and thy right hand shall save me.
8The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me:
      thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever:
      forsake not the works of thine own hands.

Although I walk in trouble, God will revive me.  He stretches our his hand against those things that keep me down.  He keeps his hand on me - His love endures forever.  At the risk of sounding cliche, God has changed my life.  God has given me a new path.  God has given me a choice, an alternative not just addiction, but an alternative to the options of what media and marketing offer up to us everyday.  An alternative to the "buy your way to happiness" mentalities we're sold everyday.  We all know that we can't buy our way to happiness.  Nor can the luxurious meals, alcohol, sex, or any other products that they sell give us any meaningful happiness.  We know this because we've been let down by all that many times before.  Yet, somehow, we still fall into those traps though...time and again.  These consumer traps keep us down much in the same way addiction does.

It can be over though.  The alternative is the path that Christ shared.  One instead of focusing on ourselves and selfish happiness we focus on Christ's message and we focus on others.  Because true happiness is not found in the next great gadget, or the next great beauty product, or the next tastiest desert.  True happiness is found in love.  Love is found whenever and wherever we give of ourselves.  Especially when we sacrifice in the name of others.  For in order to get a hug you need to give a hug.  For those who forgive will be forgiven.  Those who give will receive.  This learning has been a big part of my recovery.

O Lord, may your hand and your mercy be with me and my work.  May your light shine through my work.  I will never forget the day more than two years ago, I cried out and you answered.  May you guide me in answering the cries of other addicts in their time of need.  That I may show them and demonstrate your path in their lives.  May I also show your grace in my life and my choices so that I forgive those who have hurt me and let go of my resentments.  That I will seek your grace and humility in situations where my pride and competitive greed would be a natural tendency.  For the path that You offer is unique in its ability to being true happiness and true hope.  I know if I can demonstrate the power and love of Your path I can bring hope where there is despair.  I pray I can be that instrument of hope and peace.  Amen.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment