Sunday, May 1, 2011

Psalm 2 (KJV) - Follow God's way or be destroyed in your own...


Psalm 2 (KJV)

1Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine (plot) a vain thing?
2The kings of the earth set themselves,
      and the rulers take counsel together,
against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,
3"Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us."
4He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh:
      the LORD shall have them in derision.
5Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.
6Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.
7I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
8Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance,
      and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.
9Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron;
      thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
10Be wise now therefore, O ye kings:
      be instructed, ye judges of the earth.
11Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
12Kiss the Son, lest he be angry,
      and ye perish from the way,
when his wrath is kindled but a little.
      Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

I am so glad to be doing these psalms over again.  I see things in them now that I know I didn't see the first time I went through them.  "Serve the LORD...lest he be angry and you be destroyed in your way," from verses 11 and 12, is a good example of this.  As addicts we try to control things to go our way and it's not until we change our ways to God's way do we gain strength, and true control, and true manageability of our lives.  Let's review the third step prayer shall we:

Third Step Prayer (from p. 63 "Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous")
God, I offer myself to Thee--to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt.
Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will.
Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of
Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life. 
May I do Thy will always!"

Understanding this and working towards this is a pivotal step in addiction recovery.  It allows us to dig deeper into problems and better address our symptom of addiction -- which is essentially what we do in step 4.

Of all the good things in this Psalm this one line may seem small - however, for me, and other recovering addicts, this is BIG.  So, understanding this is all that I think needs to be covered today.

Thank you for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment