Monday, May 16, 2011

Psalm 8 (KJV) - Out of the mouths babes comes strength (and wisdom)

From Psalms

Psalm 8
(For the Director of Music.  According to gittith.  A psalm of  David.)
1O LORD, our Lord,
      how excellent is thy name in all the earth!
who hast set thy glory
      above the heavens.

2Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings
      hast thou ordained strength
because of thine enemies,
      that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.

3When I consider thy heavens,
      the work of thy fingers,
the moon and the stars,
      which thou hast ordained;
4What is man, that thou art mindful of him?
      and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
5For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels,
      and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

6Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands;
      thou hast put all things under his feet:
7All sheep and oxen,
      yea, and the beasts of the field;
8The fowl of the air,
      and the fish of the sea,
      and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.

9O LORD our Lord,
      how excellent is thy name in all the earth!

Sometimes, the differences between KJV and NIV are very interesting.  Verse 2 of King James inspires me to write something completely different today that what I wrote in my post for Psalm 8 NIV.  I have said before that God speaks to us, and works in our lives, through those close to us.  We never expect this wisdom to come from children.  However, children are so honest and so matter of fact that it shouldn't be a surprise when it comes from them.

Let me give an example that sticks out in my mind.  Last Summer I was driving home in rush hour traffic with my 5 year old son in the back seat, trying to do too many things and running late for an appointment.  Obviously, I was getting frustrated with traffic when I asked something along the lines of, "What are all these people doing here, and how am I going to get through this?"  To which my son responded, "Don't worry Dad.  God is always on our side."  Those words stick with me to this day.  Not just that specific instance - but as I deal with the problems of my addiction and life in general.

I'm sure I can think of several more if I gave it more time to think.  However, I'm well behind pace of publishing this blog.  If I maintain this pace I won't be through the 150 Psalms on this blog in the next year.  For your sake and mine I don't want that to happen.  However, I would hope that you can go out and find your wisdom from the mouths of babes today - and use that for your faith, your hope, and victory over lifes problems.  Whether those problems are an addiction or something else remember God is always on our side.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment