Friday, May 27, 2011

Psalm 15 (KJV) - who shall dwell in thy holy hill?

From Psalms

Psalm 15
(A psalm of David.)

1LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle?
who shall dwell in thy holy hill?

2He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness,
      and speaketh the truth in his heart.
3He that backbiteth not with his tongue,
      nor doeth evil to his neighbour,
      nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.
4In whose eyes a vile person is condemned;
      but he honoureth them that fear the LORD.
He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.
5He that putteth not out his money to usury,
      nor taketh reward against the innocent.

He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

A short and simple psalm - with simple truths.  Who shall go to heaven?  The upright and righteous of course. Those who are honest.  Those who do no wrong to their neighbor or gossip.  Those who condemn evil - I have to believe the psalmist means openly.  Those who do not go back on their word, despite what suffering they may experience.  Those who give of reasonably of their money and do not overcharge for it.  Those who does these things will have the strength of the Lord on their side.

It's merely 5 verses.  On the surface it looks so easy - but as I ponder these...these gestures, these actions, I realize it's not so easy to maintain.  I lie and am dishonest.  I gossip.  I turn a blind eye when I see evil.  I break promises.  I take little risk with my money and invest it where I expect to get the best return.  Thinking only of myself.  I may do these things all the time.  I may not do these things everyday.  Nevertheless, I do them and have some spiritual character to develop.

I may be hard on myself - however, I think I need to be realistic about the things I need to fix to realize that I need God's help to remove my defects of character.

Dear Lord, keep me honest with what I know in my heart to be true.  Teach me to think more of others, to be considerate, supportive and selfless.  Guide me in ways that are caring, considerate and loving instead of lustful.  Help me be responsible and thoughtful when my nature is to be reckless, self-indulgent and impulsive. Direct me in ways to keep me calm tempered and patient.  Remind me, when I covet and steal, that the gifts you provide me are worth far more than anything worldly, and I should be more grateful for those.  Finally, give me the courage and strength to be open, when my tendency is to be defensive and withdrawn.

I suppose that's how we humbly ask for God to remove our shortcomings.  That feels good - I think I'll be able to sleep better tonight.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment