Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Psalm 26:2 (MSG): Examine Me God, From Head To Foot

Psalm 26:2 (The Message)
A David Psalm

2Examine me, GOD, From Head to Foot,
      order your battery of tests.
Make sure I'm fit
      inside and out

How cool would it be if we could get a "spiritual" - I'm thinking along the lines of an annual physical a family doctor would give.  Instead of checking your body, would check your heart, your soul.  Instead of checking say blood pressure, maybe there would be a check for generosity or sacrifice.  Instead of a check for cholesterol...maybe, a check for sinful thoughts?  Too crazy?  Hopefully, the prescription would me more prayer instead of more pills.

At least there'd finally be a way to measure how we're doing in Gods eyes.  We could get feedback to see where we're doing well or maybe where we need to make appropriate changes.  In the same way we make changes to diet after our annual physical shows high blood sugar or high cholesterol.  Maybe the feedback from God would be, "You've been too self-centered..," or "...you need more time in church..." or "...I expect you to be more generous with your gifts."  Or maybe...we know in our hearts and conscience what God would tell us if he were to "examine" us from head to foot.  But maybe it would be more critical if it came in the form an "spiritual" - we would take the change we need to make more seriously, and with higher priority.

Dear God, examine me from head to foot.  Today, I ask that You help me to see myself through Your eyes, from Your perspective.  Run a battery of tests on my soul and guide me to live the life You have planned for me.  That I may praise You - and give credit where I see Your hand in my life.  That I may follow, truly follow, in Your son Jesus' path.  That I may willingly sacrifice and be the light where there is darkness.  That I may show others there are ways out of addiction.  That although life me be complicated and, at times, overwhelming, that there are other tools to cope, other than drugs, alcohol, or sex.  That I may show that there is help if, and when, you are willing to ask.  All these things I ask in Your name, amen.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment