Thursday, September 1, 2016

Psalm 27:4 (MSG) I'm asking God for one thing, only one thing

Psalm 27:4 (The Message)
A David Psalm

4I’m asking God for one thing,
    only one thing:
To live with him in his house
    my whole life long.
I’ll contemplate his beauty;
    I’ll study at his feet.

It just so happens that I attended a memorial service yesterday for a friend and in that service they read from Psalm 27.  The fact that it was Psalm 27, of all bible verses, and even of all the psalms, was a reminder from God that I needed to get back to studying at his feet.

There is nothing like the passing of a friend (especially one who seems to be too young and too vibrant to be called back to God) to frame the fragility of life and how valuable every minute we have on earth is.  To remind us how important it is to make sure the ones we love know how important they are to us.  Or to understand how important it is that every day be used for doing God's work in our lives.

So, it is in this frame of mind that at the end of my life I hope that I can look back and say that I have lived, with him, in his house, my whole life long.  For I know that true peace has come while studying the Psalms, at his feet, removed from the buzz and noise of the world.  For as Psalm 27 tells us when God is at my side I have nothing to fear.  That is the nature of the peace studying at his feet.

Dear Lord, I ask one thing, only one thing, to live with you in your house my whole life.  That I may, in spite of the noise and busy-ness that this world presents, that I may continue to find refuge in your peace.  In finding this peace that I can share it with others, and be instrument of your peace.  That I may emulate Jesus, and many others, who have brought calm in the face of terror and evil.  That I would bring faith in the face of doubt.  That I would seek not so much to be understood, as to understand.  At this time be with all of us who mourn for the recent loss of a brother or sister.  Help us, and comfort us, in the understanding of the peace that you have given those who you have called back.  As I often do, be with the addicts who still suffer, help them understand the transformative power you hold.  That despite the limited time we have everything is possible, even recovery of the worst addiction.  All of these things I pray in Jesus' name - Amen.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment