Thursday, April 7, 2011

Psalm 8 (NIV) - How majestic is your name in all the earth!

From Psalms

Psalm 8 
(For the director of music. According to
gittith. A psalm of David.)

1 LORD, our Lord,
     how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory
     above the heavens.
2From the lips of children and infants
     you have ordained praise (or strength)
because of your enemies,
     to silence the foe and the avenger.
3 When I consider your heavens,
     the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
     which you have set in place,
4what is man that you are mindful of him,
     the son of man that you care for him?
5You have made them a little lower than the heavenly beings (or angels)
     and crowned them with glory and honor.

6You made him ruler over the works of your hands;
     you put everything under his feet:
7all flocks and herds,
     and the beasts of the field,
8the birds of the air,
     and the fish in the sea,
     all that swim the paths of the seas.
9LORD, our Lord,
     how majestic is your name in all the earth!

There was a time I believed that God did not care enough about me, that he would have bigger and more important things going on, to help me with my simple, insignificant addiction.  However, as I re-read and type Psalm 8 for this blog I realize what God has done for all people, not just us as a group but for each and every one of us.  I am reminded of how foolish my thinking was.  God certainly does care.  I am pretty sure we go through addiction, and recovery from addiction, for a specific purpose or specific lessons to be learned.

For everyone that purpose and lesson is different.  Here's are some of the things that I have learned, and what I believe God has taught me during my recovery:
  • God works in our lives through the people around us
    • So it's absolutely critical to go to meetings, even if you don't plan to share initially
    • or talk to people about our addictions
  • You need to be able to ask for help before you can expect to get it
    • Only God can read your mind and even he needs you to pray
    • Back to point one...ask those around you for help - you'll be surprised at the support and love you get
  • You need to give a hug in order to get a hug; you need to give love to receive love
    •  From the Step 11 Prayer:
      Lord grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted  

      to understand,
      than to be understood
      to love,
      than to be loved
  • Be faithful and patient...real change comes slowly
God creates miracles - as illustrated in this Psalm.  Miracles come in all types and sizes - And miracles include the recovery of addicts who have hit rock bottom.  This is one addict who will attest to the fact that God can change a life in unbelievable ways.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment