Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Psalm 59 (KJV): Deliver me from the workers of iniquity

From Psalms

Psalm 59
(For the director of music. To the tune of “Do Not Destroy.” Of David. A miktam. When Saul had sent men to watch David’s house in order to kill him.)

1Deliver me from mine enemies, O my God:
      defend me from them that rise up against me.
2Deliver me from the workers of iniquity,
      and save me from bloody men.

3For, lo, they lie in wait for my soul:
      the mighty are gathered against me;
      not for my transgression, nor for my sin, O LORD.
4They run and prepare themselves without my fault:
      awake to help me, and behold.
5Thou therefore, O LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel,
      awake to visit all the heathen:
      be not merciful to any wicked transgressors.                Selah.

6They return at evening:
      they make a noise like a dog,
      and go round about the city.
7Behold, they belch out with their mouth:
      swords are in their lips:
      for who, say they, doth hear?
8But thou, O LORD, shalt laugh at them;
      thou shalt have all the heathen in derision.

9Because of his strength will I wait upon thee:
      for God is my defence.
10The God of my mercy shall prevent me:
      God shall let me see my desire upon mine enemies.
11Slay them not,
      lest my people forget:
scatter them by thy power;
      and bring them down, O Lord our shield.
12For the sin of their mouth
      and the words of their lips
      let them even be taken in their pride:
and for cursing and lying which they speak.
13Consume them in wrath,
      consume them, that they may not be:
and let them know that God ruleth in Jacob
      unto the ends of the earth.                                   Selah.

14And at evening let them return;
      and let them make a noise like a dog,
      and go round about the city.
15Let them wander up and down for meat,
      and grudge if they be not satisfied.
16But I will sing of thy power;
      yea, I will sing aloud of thy mercy in the morning:
for thou hast been my defence
      and refuge in the day of my trouble.

17Unto thee, O my strength, will I sing:
      for God is my defence, and the God of my mercy.

There seem to be more people around me recently that lie.  Maybe I'm more aware of their lies because I am more honest with my self as a result of working the 12 steps.  Whatever the case, especially at work I see it.  I see it for different reasons.  There's one person who lies in order to gain more control of situations - telling me one thing and another person something else.  There's another person who lies because she's insecure - she never wants to admit she doesn't know something.

Although these people are not out to get me, like the enemies in David's 59th psalm, per se, their lies undermine the work I am trying to do.  Normally, I find their lies frustrating and unnecessary - Today, however, I am choosing to pray for the liars.  That they may find security in their lives and who they are they do not need lie any longer.  That they learn what it means to be open and honest.  That they find the responsibility and authority they need without deception.

Not everyday in recovery is about me.  Often its about others' actions - and how I react to the actions of others.  I know I cannot control the actions of others.  There are effective ways to react to the behavior and ineffective ways.  The two most effective ways of dealing with it are to a) turn it over to God by praying for them, and, b) telling the person about how their behavior effects me and makes me feel.  Sometimes its not always possible safe to take option b, but, option a is always open.  In taking option a we are often guided on a means to take option b.  Remember that He is not only your God, He is also your heavenly Father - you are special to Him.  God is just waiting for your to seek His assistance, and He wants you to have faith that he will  step in and take a hand in circumstances in your life where you need it.  Tell your heavenly Father about the attacks against you, and those that sin of the mouth, curse and lie.  Then watch as they are scattered and are consumed.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment