Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Psalm 71 (KJV): 16-24: I will go in the strength of the Lord

From Psalms

Psalm 71:16-24

16I will go in the strength of the Lord GOD:
      I will make mention of thy righteousness, even of thine only.
17O God, thou hast taught me from my youth:
      and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works.
18Now also when I am old and greyheaded,
      O God, forsake me not;
until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation,
      and thy power to every one that is to come.

19Thy righteousness also, O God, is very high,
      who hast done great things:
      O God, who is like unto thee!
20Thou, which hast shewed me great and sore troubles,
      shalt quicken me again,
and shalt bring me up again
      from the depths of the earth.
21Thou shalt increase my greatness,
      and comfort me on every side.

22I will also praise thee with the psaltery,
      even thy truth, O my God:
unto thee will I sing with the harp,
      O thou Holy One of Israel.
23My lips shall greatly rejoice
      when I sing unto thee;
      and my soul, which thou hast redeemed.
24My tongue also shall talk of thy righteousness
      all the day long:
for they are confounded,
      for they are brought unto shame,
      that seek my hurt.

Yesterday, was the second day I missed blogging about psalms this year.  This may not seem like a big deal, however, I'm a little disappointed in myself.  You see, I am trying to recreate a habit of studying the bible (and for the next few months, psalms) and/or praying everyday for 27 days.  I'm doing this because I know when I'm able to study the bible or meditate in prayer in a day, for that day I do not feel the urges or cravings of my addiction.  Generally, when I go several days without prayer or studying the bible is when the temptation of my addiction start to creep into my life.  As I started to see in December, with a whopping two psalm blog entries for the entire month.

I'm not sure I can explain this or even understand this.  Maybe it's a daily reminder that God is with me and I understand right from wrong.  Or maybe reading the bible gives your mind a workout, and therefore strength.  Or maybe I am closer to God and he is giving me more strength to manage distracting situations that would take me down those paths to my addictions.  Whatever the case, reading the bible and praying daily, works and as psalm 71 verse 16 starts today, I will go in the strength of the Lord.

On that note, I would like to share a phrase I heard yesterday, "When I see a bible that's broken and worn down, I know the life of the owner of that bible is all held together."  I just heard while flipping channels on the radio yesterday and I thought it reflected nicely with my theme today.

May you also be in the Strength of the Lord.  As they say in Spanish, via con Dios.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment