Friday, January 13, 2012

Psalm 73 (KJV): I was envious when I saw the properity of the wicked

From Psalms

Psalm 73
(A psalm of Asaph.)

1Truly God is good to Israel,
      even to such as are of a clean heart.

2But as for me, my feet were almost gone;
      my steps had well nigh slipped.

3For I was envious at the foolish,
      when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

4For there are no bands in their death:
      but their strength is firm.
5They are not in trouble as other men;
      neither are they plagued like other men.
6Therefore pride compasseth them about as a chain;
      violence covereth them as a garment.
7Their eyes stand out with fatness:
      they have more than heart could wish.
8They are corrupt, and speak wickedly
      concerning oppression: they speak loftily.
9They set their mouth against the heavens,
      and their tongue walketh through the earth.
10Therefore his people return hither:
      and waters of a full cup are wrung out to them.
11And they say, How doth God know?
      and is there knowledge in the most High?

12Behold, these are the ungodly,
      who prosper in the world;
      they increase in riches.

13Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain,
      and washed my hands in innocency.
14For all the day long have I been plagued,
      and chastened every morning.

15If I say, I will speak thus; behold,
      I should offend against the generation of thy children.
16When I thought to know this,
      it was too painful for me;
17Until I went into the sanctuary of God;
      then understood I their end.

18Surely thou didst set them in slippery places:
      thou castedst them down into destruction.
19How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment!
      they are utterly consumed with terrors.
20As a dream when one awaketh;
      so, O Lord, when thou awakest,
      thou shalt despise their image.

21Thus my heart was grieved,
      and I was pricked in my reins.
22So foolish was I, and ignorant:
      I was as a beast before thee.

23Nevertheless I am continually with thee:
      thou hast holden me by my right hand.
24Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel,
      and afterward receive me to glory.
25Whom have I in heaven but thee?
      and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

26My flesh and my heart faileth:
      but God is the strength of my heart,
      and my portion for ever.

27For, lo, they that are far from thee shall perish:
      thou hast destroyed all them that go a whoring from thee.
28But it is good for me to draw near to God:
      I have put my trust in the Lord GOD,
      that I may declare all thy works.

Welcome to book III of my journey through psalms - I'm so glad I could get this far and even more glad that you could join me here.

Psalm 73 is one of those tough and honest psalms.  It's very easy to praise God and speak of his gifts, like I get to do on other days with other psalms.  That's easy.  However, as psalm 73 reminds us, in a very honest way, we Christians have to have a certain level of sacrifice.  It requires, for example, that we think of others before ourselves.  All the while we try to reflect the love of God, there are those around us who seem to prosper inordinately.  So, we feel like if God were so good why wouldn't we prosper like them?  We start to sin in that we start to covet.  It may not even always be about money.  It may be about a career, title, or an experience.  It may even be about length of sobriety.  Because in our society we are lead to believe that prosperity is the same as happiness.  Unfortunately, we are bombarded with this message.

We start to think, "I'd be happier if I had a bigger house," or "I'd be happier if my kids could go to a better school,"  or "I'd be happier if I didn't have to work as long."    I have even often thought I could be a faster bike rider if I had a newer bike - or a better golfer if I had newer golf clubs.  Well, we all know it's not true.  We've all bought things that were supposed to make our lives easier, or better, and were disappointed when it didn't make our lives easier.  Hopefully, we learned our lessons and stopped looking in the wrong places for this secret to success and happiness.  Some people simply think, "Well, maybe what I was looking for is still out there," and their journey through disappointment never ends.

Because Happiness, doesn't come from trying to be like someone else, or from having the latest best thing.  Happiness, comes from fulfillment and satisfaction.  Fulfillment, in turn, comes from knowing our lives make a difference.

We have a program at work where we give a $25 gift certificate to people who go above and beyond what is expected of them.  They step in while somebody is out, the work on the weekend, and things like that.  I see that people are grateful to receive the $25 gift certificate.  However, I know that the $25 doesn't make a huge impact in their lives.  I know they are more grateful that their efforts and commitment are recognized - that we show that this person is important and is valuable.

The easiest way to have our lives make a difference is to mirror the way Jesus lead his life.  Showing our love and helping the people of the world.  This is the only true path to happiness.  Unfortunately, those people who don't understand this will find themselves in torturing spiral.  They will chase more money and "things", continue to be disappointed...chase money and things even harder than before, become even more disappointed...and so on.  In this spiral, as we read in psalm 73, "they will be utterly consumed by terrors."  So, it is good for us to draw near to God and we are grateful for the gifts and opportunities he gives us and that he keeps us from a lifestyle of false happiness and prosperity.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment