Saturday, April 30, 2011

Psalm 1 (KJV) - Be like a tree planted by the rivers, bearing fruit

From Psalms

Psalm 1 (KJV)

1Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly,
nor standeth in the way of sinners,
      nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

2But his delight is in the law of the LORD;
      and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

3And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water,
      that bringeth forth his fruit in his season;
      his leaf also shall not wither;
      and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

4The ungodly are not so:
      but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

5Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment,
      nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

6For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous:
      but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

This Psalm means more to me than six months ago (or so) when I first wrote it.  At the time I didn't understand the fruits the way I do now.  In a parable kind of way, I feel like the tree by the river, in a way I couldn't have felt six months ago.  I see the fruit of the spirit (Galations 5:22,23) in my life:  love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

I will have many more opportunities to talk about the fruit in later days.  However, for now let's focus on the fruit of peace.  This peace comes from the promises of the 12 steps.  I know now how to handle situations that used to baffle me.  Although my journey through the 12 steps is not complete - I am amazed before I am half-way through.

My entire life during my sex addiction had become unmanageable – not just the addicted part of my life, but my whole life.  You see, lies were not just part of covering up my addiction. Lies were everywhere.  Somedays I couldn't keep them all straight.  The worst part was when I believed the lies I told myself.  Now there is a genuine sense of relief and peace that I now do not have to lie.  The beauty of the 12 steps and my recovery is that I'm more honest about everything now, too.  I am truly grateful for the peace I have found in my recovery. 

I hope you will join me over the next 6 months as I try to journey through Psalms, again, and work on completing my 12 step journey.  I hope this journey will also help you, either with your own addiction, or helping somebody close to you who is afflicted with addiction.

thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment