Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Psalm 6 (NIV) - the LORD has heard my cry for mercy

From Psalms

Psalm 6 
(For the director of music. With stringed instruments. According to sheminith. A psalm of David.)
1LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger
     or discipline me in your wrath.
2Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am faint;
     heal me, LORD, for my bones are in agony.
3 My soul is in deep anguish.
     How long, O LORD, how long?
4Turn, O LORD, and deliver me;
     save me because of your unfailing love.
5No one remembers you when he is dead.
     Who praises you from the grave (sheol)?
6 I am worn out from my groaning;
     all night long I flood my bed with weeping
     and drench my couch with tears.
7My eyes grow weak with sorrow;
     they fail because of all my foes.
8Away from me, all you who do evil,
     for the LORD has heard my weeping.
9The LORD has heard my cry for mercy;
     the LORD accepts my prayer.
10All my enemies will be ashamed and dismayed;
     they will turn back in sudden disgrace.

"God save me," "God deliver me." 

After focusing and meditating on Psalms over the past 6 months I have learned that God works through the people around us.  So it is that God saves us (and delivers us) through the people around us.  So it should be no surprise that one of the most effective tools we have in overcoming addiction is in sharing our struggle with a friend or support group.  If you're struggling with an addiction search for (or pray for) a friend to talk to about it, or for a 12 step/recovery meeting to go to.  Once we can start being open and honest with someone else we can start being honest with ourselves and start the long process of recovery.  Don't conceal your addiction - reveal your addiction.

Ironically, we hide our addictions because we want others to think that we are managing everything fine.  When those closest to us know, just as we do, that everything is not fine - it's completely unmanageable.  More than that, if it was manageable it wouldn't be controlling our lives, our decisions, our time and forcing us to lie, forcing us to spend money.  Addiction is too big to handle by ourselves in isolation.  You need a group or friend to support you and encourage you.  When you find those people you will start seeing the work of God in your recovery...sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly.  In any case, eventually, as we journey down the 12 steps our prayers begin to answered.  Hopefully, too, we start to help do God's work in lives of other addicts...that is a great even in the process of recovery.  One that I look forward to.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment