Thursday, April 21, 2011

Psalm 16 (NIV) - Lord, apart from you I have no good thing

From Psalms

Psalm 16 (New International Version, ©2011)
(A miktam of David)

1Keep me safe, my God,
     for in you I take refuge.

2I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord;
     apart from you I have no good thing.”
3I say of the holy people who are in the land,
     “They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight.”
4Those who run after other gods will suffer more and more.
     I will not pour out libations of blood to such gods
     or take up their names on my lips.

5LORD, you alone are my portion and my cup;
     you make my lot secure.
6The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
     surely I have a delightful inheritance.
7I will praise the LORD, who counsels me;
     even at night my heart instructs me.
8I keep my eyes always on the LORD.
     With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

9Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
     my body also will rest secure,
10because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
     nor will you let your faithful one see decay.
11You make known to me the path of life;
     you will fill me with joy in your presence,
     with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

"The best things in life are not things."  No car, no money, no house, no worldy things could add up to value that I get in the fruits of the Lord.  For example, the love of my friends and family.  The joy they bring in my life, especially when I see them laugh and smile.  These are gifts from God.  He is my portion and my cup - and my cup runneth over.

It has not always been this way.  I used believe that I could gain happiness came from these worldly things.  I used to be crippled by fear.  I did not understand the difference between love and lust.  I looked for love in places where it was supposed to be sold - when all along God had given it to me in my own home.  I used to blame others for problems which I had created myself.  I cared only about my own goals and desires.

Thankfully, he is slowly replacing my fear with strength.  He is replacing my frustration with patience.  Replacing my selfishness with selflessness; my pride with humility; procrastination with action, deceit with honesty.  Slowly, God is changing me and changing my life.  Everyday, with His guidance, I continue to grow and learn more.  I have a better understanding what is truly important in life.  With that understanding, life is so much better - I'm happier, I'm more confident, things are more smooth and manageable, and I know there isn't anything I can't work through when they aren't.

Therefore my heart is glad, I rejoice and my body rest securely.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment