Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Psalm 15 (NIV) - Who keeps his oath even when it hurts

From Psalms

Psalm 15 (New International Version, ©2011)
(A psalm of David.)

1LORD, who may dwell in your sacred tent?
     Who may live on your holy mountain?

2The one whose walk is blameless,
     who does what is righteous,
     who speaks the truth from their heart;
3whose tongue utters no slander,
     who does no wrong to a neighbor,
     and casts no slur on others;
4who despises a vile person
     but honors those who fear the LORD;
who keeps an oath even when it hurts,
     and does not change their mind;
5who lends money to the poor without interest;
     who does not accept a bribe against the innocent.

     Whoever does these things
     will never be shaken.

Verses 4 and 5 stand out to this addict.  "Who keeps his oath even when it hurts and does not change his mind...will never be shaken."  It stands out for a few reasons.  It stands out because the initial process of recovery was painful for me.  I was no longer able to mask my problems with my addiction, couldn't drown my sorrows in alcohol or soothe my pain in endorphins.  This was both a mental trial as well as a physical trial.  As my body slowly learned to live without the endorphin painkillers I experienced headaches and fatigue.

However, as we, addicts, keep our oath to our Higher Power and we slowly becoming stronger.  For me my oath was re-writing all 150 psalms without relapsing.  It has been said that, "Pain is just weakness leaving your body."  I'm not sure who said it but it makes a lot of sense in this situation.  To that end as we go through this pain, in keeping our oath, we become stronger and we will not be shaken.  I certainly felt that, and know that today I am stronger and more confident than I was 6 months ago, for keeping my oath.

Here's hoping that God can provide strength and guidance in your life as he has in mine.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment