Monday, April 4, 2011

Psalm 5 (NIV) - In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice

From Psalms

Psalm 5  (For the director of music. For pipes. A psalm of David.)

1 Listen to my words, O LORD,
     consider my lament.
2 Hear my cry for help,
     my King and my God,
     for to you I pray.
3 In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice;
     in the morning I lay my requests before you
     and wait in expectation.
4 For you are not a God who takes pleasure in evil;
     with you, the wicked cannot dwell.
5The arrogant cannot stand in your presence;
     You hate all who do wrong;
6You destroy those who tell lies.
     bloodthirsty and deceitful men
     the LORD abhors.
7But I, by your great mercy,
     will come into your house;
in reverence will I bow down
     toward your holy temple.
8Lead me, LORD, in your righteousness
     because of my enemies —
     make straight your way before me.
9Not a word from their mouth can be trusted;
     their heart is filled with destruction.
Their throat is an open grave;
     with their tongue they speak deceit.
10Declare them guilty, O God!
     Let their intrigues be their downfall.
Banish them for their many sins,
     for they have rebelled against you.
11But let all who take refuge in you be glad;
     let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
     that those who love your name may rejoice in you.
12For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
     you surround them with your favor as with a shield.

As part of my recovery I have set-up a time everyday in which to focus and meditate on His word.  This has been critical to the success over my addictions.  I would like to say I do it every morning at 5:00 AM at exactly - but, because I am only human, it's more like every morning before 6:00 AM.  And so it is very meaningful to read verse 3, "In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectation."

As an addict my daily request, which I lay before him, is that He be with me and guide me.  When I am faced with temptation that I choose in a way that would help me grow and not a way that I would be destroyed.  That I have wisdom to make the right choices and the courage to act on those choices.  For he knows "There are is a whole army of evil desires within you," (James 4:1 Living Bible) and it through the prayers of Psalms that I get my strength to conquer those armies.

Thanks for letting me share.

1 comment: