Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Psalm 104:1-17 (KJV):He bring forth...bread which strengtheneth a man's heart

From Psalms

Psalm 104:1-17

1Bless the LORD, O my soul.

O LORD my God, thou art very great;
      thou art clothed with honour and majesty.
2Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment:
      who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain:
3Who layeth the beams of his chambers in the waters:
      who maketh the clouds his chariot:
      who walketh upon the wings of the wind:
4Who maketh his angels spirits;
      his ministers a flaming fire:

5Who laid the foundations of the earth,
      that it should not be removed for ever.
6Thou coveredst it with the deep as with a garment:
      the waters stood above the mountains.
7At thy rebuke they fled;
      at the voice of thy thunder they hasted away.
8They go up by the mountains;
      they go down by the valleys
      unto the place which thou hast founded for them.
9Thou hast set a bound that they may not pass over;
      that they turn not again to cover the earth.

10He sendeth the springs into the valleys,
      which run among the hills.
11They give drink to every beast of the field:
      the wild asses quench their thirst.
12By them shall the fowls of the heaven have their habitation,
      which sing among the branches.
13He watereth the hills from his chambers:
      the earth is satisfied with the fruit of thy works.
14He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle,
      and herb for the service of man:
      that he may bring forth food out of the earth;
15And wine that maketh glad the heart of man,
      and oil to make his face to shine,
      and bread which strengtheneth man's heart.
16The trees of the LORD are full of sap;
      the cedars of Lebanon, which he hath planted;
17Where the birds make their nests:
      as for the stork, the fir trees are her house.

The past 17 months of psalms and 12 steps have brought me closer to God - I now know what it means to have a relationship with God.  He laid the foundations of the earth (verse 5) and he has a plan for each one of us.  In that 17 months I have developed a strong faith that anything is possible through him.

Today, God gives me my daily bread in psalm 104.  He bring forth bread, which strengthens my heart (verse 15).  And proverbial wine to make glad my heart.  This has been a journey.  This didn't happen overnight.  Everyday I let God into my life more and more.  And as I do, I become a new person.

Before, prayer was not a daily part of my life.  Now I can't imagine a day without it.  Before, I didn't know where I fit in God's world.  Now I know where he is in mine.  Before, I didn't understand grace.  Now I have received more than any person ever deserves.  Before, I tried to fill a cup that had no bottom with things that quickly lost their meaning.  Now my cup overflows with the fruits of the Lord.

Praise the Lord, oh my soul, who showed me that sobriety is more than just abstaining from addiction.  Sobriety is about inner peace.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment