Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Psalm 99 (KJV): They called upon the Lord, and he answered them

From Psalms

Psalm 99

1The LORD reigneth;
      let the people tremble:
he sitteth between the cherubims;
      let the earth be moved.
2The LORD is great in Zion;
      and he is high above all the people.
3Let them praise thy great and terrible name;
      for it is holy.

4The king's strength also loveth judgment;
      thou dost establish equity,
thou executest judgment and righteousness
      in Jacob.
5Exalt ye the LORD our God,
      and worship at his footstool;
for he is holy.

6Moses and Aaron among his priests,
      and Samuel among them that call upon his name;
they called upon the LORD,
      and he answered them.
7He spake unto them in the cloudy pillar:
      they kept his testimonies, and the ordinance that he gave them.

8Thou answeredst them,
      O LORD our God:
thou wast a God that forgavest them,
      though thou tookest vengeance of their inventions.
9Exalt the LORD our God,
      and worship at his holy hill;
for the LORD our God is holy.

Samuel called upon the Lord when the Isrealites were in fear of the Philistines.  1 Samuel 7:9, "He cried out to the LORD on Isreal's behalf, and the LORD answered him."  It continues into verses and 11 as the Philistines draw near for battle, "But that day the LORD thundered with loud thunder against the Philistines and threw them into such panic that they were routed before the Isrealites."  Then the Isrealites pursued them out of mitzpah, slaughtering them, so the Philistines were subdued and didn't invade Israel territory again.

Sometimes I forget to call on the Lord when I am in need.  I think, "I've got this under control,"..."I can handle this,"..."I can control this."  There is a lot that I can learn from Samuel.  Among other things he taught the Isrealites to give up false gods and idols.  And here in 1 Samuel 7 he shows how we can call on God in even the most dire circumstances.

As I continue to build my sobriety I continue to learn from Samuel - to call upon the Lord.  To stop trying to control every aspect of what happens in my life...and to turn it over to God, to the will of God.  I know as soon as I do, and he has shown this, that he will answer.  For my addictions are not unlike the Philistines.  They would destroy me if I let them into my life, again.  However, they can be conquered when I am willing to turn my problems over to the Lord.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment